Tuesday, November 4, 2014

It’s all about the relationship

Participating in a dog sport is not just what happens for a few minutes in the ring.  It's the relationship that develops between a person and his or her dog.  The time in the ring is simply one of the moments in time that is spent together and the title is successful outcome of the training and time spent together.  Quite honestly, if anyone wants to compare unsuccessful times in the ring in any sport, I guarantee that I probably have a huge lead on number of NQs after competing in not just AKC/UKC obedience but also in Schutzhund/PSA/SDA protection sports with what I refer to as my previous generation of dogs.  I often said that failing is what made me a better dog trainer, what showed me where my training weaknesses were and what ultimately made us successful.  Have I driven across country only to NQ a minute into the time on the trial field?  .... you bet.  Did my dog care?   oh...  probably not, he was just excited that we were on an adventure together. 

Recently I posted to the Great Lakes Barn Hunt Facebook group some stats about how Jake has done since we started a year ago.  Someone pointed out that I didn't list the cost of getting to RATCHX2 ....   yep that's correct... There are some things I simply don't want to know how much they cost! Last and not least of the what I get out of competing, whether I win or lose,  is the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends!!  And always...  it's about having fun with my dog!

DSC_3924